Monday, December 6, 2010

Do Not Read This Post ... Really

Do not read this post if you are going to be eating soon. Do NOT ... really.

I was grocery shopping in Nacogdoches. The local grocery chain is an outfit called Brookshire Bros. Nice grocery, good produce, great selection of wines. I was wandering the meat aisle, hoping to see some good steaks or some packages that I could divide for my freezer. Honest to God ... I am amazed at some of the stuff I find in this part of the country.

Do not read this post if you have a weak stomach. Really. I am adventurous eater ... not really squeamish. But, honestly ..... here are things I found in the meat case.....

Turkey Tails. Really. The part that went over the fence last. Multiples. In a package.

Pig Tails. Really. Uncurled. Hairless. But definitely the rearmost part of the pig ... with no discernible nutritional value that I can imagine and decidedly unfavorable flavor, I would think.

And lastly .... truly unsettling ... Hog Maws. Seriously. Hog Maws. The Maw of a Hog.

What is a "maw", you ask? I researched this, just to be sure.


maw

[maw]
–noun
1.
the mouth, throat, or gullet of an animal, esp. a carnivorous mammal.
2.
the crop or craw of a fowl.
3.
the stomach, esp. that of an animal.
4.
a cavernous opening that resembles the open jaws of an animal: the gaping maw of hell.
5.
the symbolic or theoretical center of a voracious hunger or appetite of any kind: the ravenous maw of Death.


Hmmm. "Ravenous Maw of Death". Well, anyway ... it is more along the lines of #3 ... a pig's stomach ... and there are actually loads of recipes, mostly from Pennsylvania!! the Amish have a liking for stuffed Pig's Stomach, likening it to the casing on a sausage ... just a container. but this stuff looked nasty ... frozen white globs of nastiness sitting next to the tails and such.

I would post photos, but I love you too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment