Monday, October 4, 2010

Not saying Good Bye .....

“…[Weed] out what you yourself like best to do, so that
you can live most agreeably in a world full of an increasing number
of disagreeable surprises.”
~MFK Fisher


We had a Sunday afternoon with some old friends ... a sort of "Farewell" party ... that was not really "Farewell". I can't imagine really saying "Good bye" to these people. The relationships are the sort where we perhaps see one another 2 or 3 times a year for several hours, but have known each other for so many years that we don't need much time to catch up. Camping in the mud and the squalor of the Phila Folk Fest for all those years is a bond not easily broken. So ... although we were supposedly saying "Goodbye", it was not too much like any other Sunday gathering we have had from time to time.

I think that Jeff and I are truly lucky to be able to begin limiting the events in our lives include more and more of the things we truly like to do ... and eliminate more and more of the stressful and disagreeable parts. We are shedding the responsibility of owning a home, moving out of the congested, high traffic northeast ... heading for the wide open spaces that we have found exist in the south and southwest. We don't want to fight cold and ice and snow. We want to follow the sun and lift our faces to the blue sky as often as we can.

I know I will be back to see my friends on a regular basis. And I will reach out to them with all the technology that is so happily at my fingertips. I anticipated having a very hard time setting off on this new lifestyle ... but it seems to be a fairly easy slide, so far. the hardest part is the waiting until we can get the last bit of paper signed and get out of PA and on the road. Grrr! I wish I had that idiot guy's head on a platter! Soon .... soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment